After putting Didcot Town’s noses out of joint 2-1 on Saturday, AFC Totton were eager to keep the momentum going at home to Paulton Rovers on Tuesday.

But frustratingly for Louis Langdown’s on-song Stags, midweek football has been put on the back-burner because Paulton face an FA Trophy replay against Cirencester.

It means the Stags must wait until this Saturday’s trip to Didcot’s Oxfordshire neighbours Kidlington to try and build on their weekend heroics.

Didcot had arrived at The Total Branding Community Stadium sitting third in the table on the back of four straight Evo-Stik South West victories.

Yet it was tenacious Totton – three league games without a win – who totally dominated first-half proceedings and were excellent value for their 2-0 interval lead.

Loanee striker Tony Lee is not short on confidence despite struggling to break through for his parent club Poole Town and he was coolness personified as he buried a precision 25-yard free-kick awarded for a foul on fellow ex-Eastleigh youngster Jack Masterton.

Apart from a George Reid free-kick well saved by Stags keeper Shane Murphy, Didcot barely got a look-in first half. They were punished again on 26 minutes when Lee muscled past defender Stuart Cattell and the ball found its way to Alfy Whittingham who was waiting to slide it home.

With the visitors doubtless getting an early Firework Night rocket in the half-time dressing room, Totton’s dominance waned in a scruffy, stop-start second half.

But even though the Railwaymen took litle more than three minutes to cut the deficit through Brazilian Felipe Barcelos, the Stags rarely looked in danger of conceding again.

Even so, it was a slender lead and there were moments when Totton boss Louis Langdown, serving a touchline ban, could be spotted head in hands in the stand while his trusty No2 Adam Wilde orchestrated from the dugout.

“It’s difficult when you can’t shout and direct and it can be frustrating. It’s a learning curve for me,” said Langdown.

“But we’ve just beaten a side who were third in the league, so we’ve got to be happy.

“We should have scored three or four first half, but we blew a bit in the second half.

“I was semi-nervous but, in all honesty, Didcot didn’t create much. There were no last-ditch tackles from us, no clearances off the line.

“And actually we broke a couple of times and might have got a third through Craig Feeney or Tobi Adekunle.”

The win hoists Totton up to eighth, just three points adrift of Didcot who are down to fourth.

“This keeps us in the pack hunting for a play-off place,” said Langdown.

Read more at:

Follow us on Twitter

Contact Us

Editor: Chris Brookes
t: 0191 442 1001
HYPoint, Saltmeadows Road, Gateshead, Tyne & Wear. NE8 3DA

Get in touch

4 + 12 =

© 2021 Baltic Publications Limited