Chester FC chairman David Harrington-Wright has apologised for the manner in which Marcus Bignot was delivered the news of his departure.
Bignot parted company with the relegated Blues on Wednesday afternoon, informing him of their decision in the car park after the youth team’s stunning 4-1 National League Under-19 Alliance Cup win over Boreham Wood. The former Solihull Moors and Grimsby Town manager had already be set to leave Chester at the end of the season after being told his contract would not be renewed at the end of the season.
But Bignot, critical of the board in his post-match interview after the Tranmere Rovers defeat at the weekend, left his post three games early, with academy head coach Calum McIntyre since asked to take the reins for the remainder of the season.
The manner of the sacking caused anger on social media, and when asked whether it had cast the club in a terrible light,
Harrington-Wright said:”If that’s the case then there is an apology from me. We will hold our hands up on that. We tried to do it the best way we thought it should be handled.
“There wasn’t time to take Marcus away, he was leaving so we had to speak to him and we had made the decision as a board that we wanted to do it ASAP as we wanted to start moving forward with the new manager. Getting him in today, tomorrow or next week wasn’t an option.
“If people want to criticise that I will take that criticism.”
Read more: www.chesterchronicle.co.uk