By Pete Dudley

Essex Senior League

Enfield 4 Clapton 2

Enfield moved up three places to 11th after they netted four at The Harlow Arena against Clapton.  Giovanni Palmer put The Tons ahead when a blocked pass fell to the Clapton striker for an easy goal, but Ernold Haxhiu went past three players to net a leveller for the hosts.  Haxhiu netted again to give the hosts the lead before it was 3-1 when a ball in by Reece Barrett saw Luke Thomas convert at the near post, and although The Tons pulled one back with an effort in off the post, Enfield sealed the points when Joe Pattinson struck home from the edge of the box.  Clapton drop to 14th.


Ilford 0 Hullbridge Sports 3

Hullbridge Sports made sure they went into the final day of the season two points clear of Stansted at the top after they netted a handsome win at Cricklefield against Ilford.  The visitors led after just three minutes when Sotoyinbo pulled a ball back for Emmanuel Okunja to strike home from the edge of the box, and the hosts task was made harder when going down to ten men for a second yellow five minutes before the break.  And six minutes into the second period Hullbridge doubled their lead when Nathan Scarborough drilled home, before they added a third five minutes into stoppage time when Luke Hornsley scored a fine individual goal to cap a decent day.  The Foxes remain 9th.


Leyton Athletic 0 Takeley 3

A Nicky Barrett brace helped Takeley to victory at Wadham Lodge against Leyton Athletic, a result which confirms the host’s relegation to Step Six next season.  Barrett set Takeley on their way by opening the scoring before Bryn Thorpe, fresh from his four goal haul against Barkingside last weekend, doubled the visitors lead.  And Barrett netted another as Takeley wrapped up the points and compound Leyton’s misery.


Redbridge 0 Stansted 4

Stansted put a depleted Redbridge to the sword as they kept the title race going to the last weekend of the season with the points at Oakside.  James Peagram played in Jack Mitchell who lobbed the visitors ahead after eleven minutes, and four minutes before the break The Airportmen were two goals up when Callum Ibe sent in a cross which found Jack West who headed home.  Daniel Smith was then sent-off for the hosts on the hour mark after pulling back Ibe, and with seven minutes left Stansted sealed the deal when Paul Clayton struck home to see them remain two points behind leaders Hullbridge with one game to go.  Redbridge are in 12th.


Saffron Walden Town 3 Southend Manor 2

Walden survived a late comeback to take all three points against Southend Manor at Catons Lane.  Spike Bell headed the hosts ahead after ten minutes before the same man grabbed his second ten minutes into the second period with another header after a poor clearance lead to the hosts attack.  And it was 3-0 on the hour when Matt Frew volleyed home after his initial header had been kept out, and a comfortable win looked all but secured.  But Manor almost produced a miracle comeback, pulling one back five minutes from time when Mo Kargbo ran the length of the field before finishing well, and Kargbo again netted five minutes later when smashing home and setting up a nervy finish for the hosts.  But the hosts did see it out to take the points and remain 4th with just one game remaining, whilst Manor remain 16th.


St Margaretsbury 0 Sawbridgeworth Town 0

St Margaretsbury and Sawbridgeworth Town grabbed a point each in their goalless draw at The Recreation Ground, a result that both sides would probably be happy with after their recent form, and also both claimed a clean sheet to boot.  The hosts go up a place to 7th and now have the Gordon Brasted Memorial Trophy Final to prepare, whilst The Robins remain third bottom.


Stanway Rovers 0 West Essex 0

It was a point a piece at The Hawthorns as Stanway Rovers and West Essex drew a blank.  A rather poor first half was followed by a second period that initially saw the hosts enjoy most of the possession, but ultimately neither side could find the net and it means Rovers remain 15th and West Essex 13th.


Peter Butcher Memorial Trophy Semi-Final

Hoddesdon Town 1 Barkingside Reserves 2

Barkingside’s Reserves are into the final of the Peter Butcher Memorial Trophy competition after a stunning win against Hoddesdon Town at Lowfield.  After a goalless opening forty five minutes the visitors led just before the hour mark when Carl Patten slammed home for his 34th goal of the season after an error from hosts keeper Aaron Bull, but the hosts then saw Connor Bolton level the tie up.  Side weren’t to be denied though as Darren Seymour restored the visitors lead with seven minutes to go and seal his side’s passage into the final.

Contact Us

Editor: Chris Brookes
t: 0191 442 1001
HYPoint, Saltmeadows Road, Gateshead, Tyne & Wear. NE8 3DA

Get in touch

7 + 12 =

© 2021 Baltic Publications Limited