Ebac Northern League club South Shields rounded off a historic season by winning the Buildbase FA Vase with a 4-0 win over Cleethorpes Town.

That means that the Mariners end the season with a fourth trophy of the season.

They came into the game as heavy favourites and lived up to that tag as they dominated the early stages, forcing the Owls back with a slick, passing game.

Carl Finnigan was an unexpected selection in an attacking Mariners line-up and he almost gave them the lead in the fourth minute as he looked set to tap home a loose ball inside the six-yard box. The Owls somehow managed to scramble the ball to safety.

The former Falkirk man was at it again minutes later but he was left frustrated by Owls keeper Liam Higton as he blocked the striker’s shot.

It wouldn’t be Higton’s last action of the game.

It took until the twenty fourth minute for the Owls to make an impact on the game and their first real chance fell to Brody Robertson.

The striker broke into the right hand side of the Mariners across and his low drive was aimed at the far corner but Liam Connell managed to tip the ball away to safety.

As a somewhat low-key first half drew to its conclusion the game suddenly burst into life with two penalty appeals inside a minute for South Shields.

The first one, an unsuccessful appeal, came when Peter Winn made contact with Finnigan but referee Dareen England was unmoved.

Moments later he gave a more positive response to an appeal as Gavin Cogdon was tipped by Owls full back Tim Lowe. It was Finnigan that stepped up and sent Higton the wrong way from the spot, much to the delight of the impressive travelling support from the North East.

On the brink of half time the lead was almost doubled and would have been had it not been for an impressive stop from Higton.

Cogdon cut inside from the left and unleashed a low drive at the near post but the Owls number one managed to parry the shot on to the post. The duo would do battle on numerous occasions in the second half but the Mariners had to settle for a one-goal lead at the break.

Just as they had in the first half, they began the second half on the front foot and were left frustrated by Higton – and the woodwork – once again.

This time it was Cogdon’s strike partner David Foley that was left to rue an excellent display by the Owls keeper as Higton tipped his twenty yard shot on to the crossbar.

For all of their dominance South Shields could have found themselves pegged back as Robertson broke through on goal but he was denied by an outstanding block by Mariners right back Alex Nicholson.

With the clock ticking into the last fifteen minutes the Mariners powered home their dominance and grabbed a second goal through Dillon Morse.

The centre back ghosted in at the far post and met an outstanding cross from substitute Robert Briggs to head home from close range.

With the game into the last five minutes they grabbed two further goals and both of them came from striker David Foley.

On eighty six minutes he was played in on goal by a sublime Michael Richardson pass before calmly stroking the ball past Higton.

Two minutes later Foley found himself in space on the edge of the Owls area and slammed a low drive inside the near post to put the finishing touches on an outstanding display from the Mariners.

Four goals, four trophies, FOUR-midable.

Cleethorpes Town: Higton, Lowe, Winn, Dickens, Bloomer, Coleman, David, Flett, Cooper, Robertson, Oglesby
Subs: Mascall, Richardson, Taylor, King, Wressell
Manager: Marcus Newell

South Shields: Connell, Nicholson, Lough, Shaw, Morse, Arca, Stephenson, Phillips, Cogdon, Finnigan, Foley
Subs: Storey, Smith, Briggs, Holden, Richardson
Managers: Graham Fenton and Lee Picton

NLD Man of the Match: Gavin Cogdon (South Shields)

Follow us on Twitter

Contact Us

Editor: Chris Brookes
t: 0191 442 1001
e: cbrookes@balticpublications.co.uk
HYPoint, Saltmeadows Road, Gateshead, Tyne & Wear. NE8 3DA

Get in touch

5 + 3 =

© 2021 Baltic Publications Limited