Liam Noble capped another impressive performance in a Forest Green Rovers shirt with a goal and helped Rovers to a sixth consecutive win on Saturday at Chester.

The summer signing from Notts County, who has made five appearances this season, scored FGR’s first in a 2-1 win at the Lookers Vauxhall Stadium.fgr

Mark Cooper’s men produced another commanding showing to make it six wins on the bounce, and to reach the top of the table for the first time this season.

Noble was pleased to see the team rewarded for their performance, which was Rovers seventh consecutive victory over Chester.

“I think it was fully deserved,” he said. “We’ve come out and scored two goals quite early on and absolutely dominated the game. Probably in the last five or six minutes we’re holding on a little bit but I think we’ve dominated the game from start to finish.

“The back four and Russla (Sam Russell) have done really well. I don’t think we looked like conceding another goal and I think we had a few chances to make it 3-1, maybe 4-1.”

Darren Carter grabbed his second of the season shortly after half time, as Chester hit the back of the net themselves late on through former Wrexham man Elliott Durrell.

FGR’s possession caught the eye once again, and although the score line appeared to make the game a closer affair than it was, Noble feels the team are capable of scoring more goals when they need to.

“I think with the change of play the fans can understand the way we try and go about it,” he added.

“We don’t really need to go and score three or four, but I think when the time is there to go and get another goal we need to go and get it, just in case another team do come back because 2-0 we all know is a tricky score line.”

The frustration of having to sit out the first three matches of the season because of a ban has been forgotten about for the 25-year-old.

His cleverly thought out free kick was his first successful strike in an FGR shirt, as he became the tenth different player in the squad to find the back of the net this season.

“I saw that the conditions were wet and rainy and there were a lot of bodies in the way. It was a shot-cross and the keeper was probably being blocked with his view.

“It might have taken a nick on the way but I’ll take that all day.”


Follow us on Twitter

Contact Us

Editor: Chris Brookes
t: 0191 442 1001
HYPoint, Saltmeadows Road, Gateshead, Tyne & Wear. NE8 3DA

Get in touch

11 + 14 =

© 2021 Baltic Publications Limited