A thrilling Vanarama National League game at the Lookers Vauxhall Stadium between Chester FC and promotion-chasing Tranmere Rovers screened live on BT Sport, was marred by the tragic death of a supporter, who was taken ill during the game.

The game itself, which, despite its importance at the top of the table, pales into insignificance as a result of the tragedy.

The outline of the football was that the home side took an early 5th minute lead from the penalty spot after Michael Ihiekwe was adjudged to have brought down Evan Horwood in the area.

Jay Harris levelled up against his former club 9 minutes into the second half.

But Ryan Astles’ powerful header from a corner saw the Blues re-take the lead on 68 minutes.

However, James Norwood equalised on 81 minutes when he headed in a Liam Ridehalgh cross.

A draw looked on the cards, until Andy Cook (pictured) fired home his 18th goal of the season with less than 2 minutes remaining to record a massive win for Tranmere and move them to second and to within two points of leaders Lincoln City, who have a tricky test at Aldershot Town today.

Chester issued a statement after the game which said: “Chester FC have to announce that a supporter taken ill at the start of tonight’s fixture against Tranmere has, despite the incredible efforts of paramedics and medical staff, subsequently passed away.

“The club took the advice of the officials and emergency personnel in continuing with the game whilst they did their very best to help the gentleman concerned.

“It goes without saying that all of our thoughts are with the bereaved family and friends and that this devastating loss is felt by us all, we will seek to offer all the support we possibly can to the family at this terrible time”.

Source: www.footballconference.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter

Contact Us

Editor: Chris Brookes
t: 0191 442 1001
e: cbrookes@balticpublications.co.uk
HYPoint, Saltmeadows Road, Gateshead, Tyne & Wear. NE8 3DA

Get in touch

14 + 3 =

© 2021 Baltic Publications Limited